Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Cheapskating The House

   I just know you're thinking 'yay! I've been waiting for more of Jacqueline's silly cheapskating tips!' Well wait no more my friends, I have 'em and I'm sharing 'em. Let's begin with mouthwash: (photo credit)


                                        
   Did you know... mouthwash was first used as a surgical antiseptic? No wonder it's good for so many things, including cleaning. Buy a big bottle of generic, tartar-control, mouthwash (sans sugar, but with alcohol) and poke a tiny hole near the bottom, then place it in your toilet tank. Not only does it help clean your toilet, it prevents icky build up, and sanitises and deodorises; it also acts as a water dam, meaning less water used per flush. Because water gradually mixes with the mouthwash (hence the tiny hole in the bottom of the bottle) the bottle never floats up to interfere with the flushing mechanism, and the large bottle lasts 2-3 months. I swish the toilet brush around the bowl a couple of times a week and I'm done, and without doing the kind of damage to the environment that harsh chemicals will!
   In addition, that same kind of mouthwash makes a great laundry additive for really smelly, dirty clothes; (gym socks anyone?) it eliminates the odours and kills much of the bacteria...oh, and of course it's great for hands, counters, or cutting boards which smell of garlic/onions/fish/what have you! Have a scrape or bruise? A sting? Poison ivy? Pour on the mouthwash for relief. Oh, and if you know someone with athlete's foot or nail fungus have them mix half mouthwash and half vinegar and use it for a soak; it might take a wee while but does work.
  
 Other quick tips for around the house:
    Got ants? Don't want to use harsh and/or poisonous chemicals? Grab the ground cinnamon and liberally dust the area where the ants are hanging out. Ants hate ground cinnamon; it doesn't kill them but they quickly vacate the area, this is especially good to use in children's (or pets) play spaces but will have to be repeated after rain. 
   Got fleas? Wash everything possible with borax, using hot water, then sprinkle borax liberally over floors, in furniture, etc... Leave for 2 hours and vacuum up, emptying your sweeper outside so any survivors can't just hop back into your house. Bathe your pets in water to which the shampoo was added prior to the pet going in; this helps prevent air bubbles which fleas can use to survive the dousing.
   Got spiders? Well, they hate peppermint! Grow peppermint around doors and windows if possible; if not: add a generous amount of peppermint oil to lukewarm water in a spray bottle. Shake thoroughly and spray wherever spiders are likely to hang out. 

Did you know? Hydrogen peroxide can be a safe(r) alternative to bleach when washing whites, or when rinsing dishes.

Tomorrow: Tasty, healthy cheapskate recipes! (So those of you who don't care for recipes are forewarned.)

I haz a happy: Caught myself singing today, and on that note...see what I did there??... I give you today's song...


17 comments:

  1. OK I had no clue that mouth wash was good for all these things. I use Listerine and now I have many other uses for it :) thanks Jacqueline!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know about ants...we are starting to get them. Henry put a bird feather in his mouth the other day and I freaked out and made him swish with mouthwash for a full minute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning and thank you for your kind wishes re our move.
    Thank you for sharing these tips. Our dentist gives us little bottles of mouthwash and now I can use them to clean with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a mouthwash tip! You have to buy the old school yellow Listerine for this one. Put it in a spray bottle, and I use it on horses' tails and manes to repel ticks in the summer months. It really works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very interesting, I had no clue mouth wash was good for so many different things! I'm with the ants I HATE cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the mouthwash is a good one to try! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of putting the mouthwash in the toilet, I think we'll try it. The harsh toilet chemicals make me not happy that we're using now. We've got well water too, so stains from just the water are a problem/challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, never knew that about the loo. Less cleaning for me, whoa hoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such good tips! Keep them coming, please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. We have a plague of ants at the moment and I really, really don't like poison - but want them gone. I will give the cinnamon a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always learning something here and protecting the environment at the same time. Thank you!! When I worked at the animal ER we used hydrogen peroxide to clean up blood from various surfaces and clothing. It works!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AWESOME tips! I'm definitely saving these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great. I love your tips and a bottle of mouthwash is at the top of my shopping list for this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey there Hi there Ho there....I've missed your blog. Thank you for posting the bee swarm link. And I'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well, but glad you found a Doctor you Love. Do you think the Vitamin D deficiency could have been your problem all of these years.
    About these tips...what great ideas! Add this one to your list. I had that toe fungus on my big toe for years. I started putting Tea Tree Oil directly on the nail and under it, every day, for over a year...maybe two...and it finally cleared up.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your tips and your word "cheapskatery"! You can bet I'll be back for more tips and your sense of humor! Hope you get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE these tips. I'm going out Monday to buy myself a bottle of cheap, sugar-free mouthwash! Sorry — but it won't be any surprise to you — I'll probably speed-read the recipe (or maybe just pass it on to San Geraldo). I love this song and will sing sing sing all evening thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,

    Very good post .


    Here is a health care search engine... http://www.24remedy.com , if you want you can submit your content to include in the search engine.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day and educate me.....I look forward to each one, thank you!