Friday, May 30, 2014

Fast Friday Fiver #3 + (Another) Cheapskate Salad Recipe

   Geraldo thanks all of you for his warm reception yesterday; I think he may end up ghostwriting for me again sometime!

So, my Friday Five....

1. I truly love good drum music whether it be Scottish, Korean, Japanese, Native American...or 'world'. Check out these ladies:


2. Geraldo is growing rapidly, he's almost twice the size he was when we brought him home. We're estimating he'll weigh about 4 lbs. when he reaches his full growth. 

3. Buddha, our rescued Boston terrier, had a difficult few days when we first brought Geraldo home; he couldn't quite believe we'd still love him. With patience, reassurance, and lots of cuddles our two boys have now become fast friends.

4. Hurrah for a quick adjustment to the increase in insulin!

5. The Great Scot has always had difficulty maintaining appetite and weight. Whilst my darling can sometimes eat like a ravenous thing, even more often 3M would entirely forget to eat if I didn't fix regular meals. Last weekend we got vitamin D capsules (1,000 IU daily) and I can't believe how much it's improved my sweetheart's appetite and energy!

Now, here's my version of what's quickly becoming a classic dish...just a note, I boil the kale very quickly because it's a choking hazard for me raw, you don't need to cook it if you prefer not to; just massage it with a little olive oil! (photo credit)




                            Kale and Garbanzo Salad

2 bunches kale, stemmed, boiled for 2 minutes, then rinsed in cold water and refrigerated for at least 1/2 hour
2 tangerines, peeled, and sliced crosswise
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/3-1/2 c. shaved parmesan
half of a small red onion, sliced (thinly) lengthwise
2 Tbsp. sunflower kernels

   Just toss together, use your favourite dressing, and eat! It's inexpensive, vegetarian, packed full of fibre and protein, and a great way to indulge your need for cheapskatery.... tastefully.



17 comments:

  1. Love, love, love those drumming divas. Superstars one and all.
    And the kale salad looks right up my street - thank you.
    I hope you are feeling much, much better.
    Our two rescue cats sometimes still have jealousy issues - despite sharing the home for a few years now. I hope that Buddha and Geraldo have better memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to pass your recipe on to my daughter. She and her husband are really into kale at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that Buddha and Geraldo are now becoming friends. How much does the vet estimate that Geraldo will weigh when full-grown?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your salad recipe sounds wonderful! Geraldo will only be 4 pounds grown? He is so tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the vitamin D is helping. I'd love to have the energy from it but could do without the appetite increase. Also happy to hear the pups are settling into a routine and no one feels left out. I have never had kale. My daughter loves it. Guess I should try it sometime. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those drum ladies are fantastic! Glad the insulin adjustment worked fast!
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad both of you are doing well!

    the drummers are very talented and know how to use their hair-tossing and high heels to make a great show. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad the pups get along, took 6 months for the two cats to get along here lol and vitimin d can do a whole lot indeed

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've been eating kale like crazy! I should try this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum yum yum! I am definitely going to try that salad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy to hear that the dogs are now buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad they're buddies too. The drummers were awesome!

    Hurrah for adjusting to insulin and hurrah for Vitamin D. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK. I DID read the recipe. And it sounds great. A very, very popular dish here in Southern Spain is spinach and garbanzos. I love it. Very different from your delicious-sounding recipe, but a similar start. I grew up taking every kind of vitamin (my mother was a bit of a vitamin freak). I wonder if I should try Vitamin D again. The Great Scot and I appear to have similar systems. So, so glad you're feeling better. Now to pass on the drummers to the original San Geraldo. He loves drum music and actually only ever notices the percussion in any song.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hmmm your recipes just sound so good. I will try that one too. Hubby and I are always looking for new always to stay heathy without sacrificing flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kale and Garbanzo Salad sounds wonderful. I need to get some kale today. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sometimes forget to eat too. If I am busy, upset or just out of sorts, food just goes out the window. And then, I will suddenly get ravenous for no reason at all. Being a type 1 diabetic? This is not a good thing. I sometimes have to force myself to eat. I have a rather stout friend and she has no sympathy for me AT ALL. But, I tell her to cheer up, in a zombie apocalypse, she would fare better than me since she requires no medications to live. She gave me a long look. "That is just so you," she finally said. "Off topic and nonsense. But, I surprisingly feel superior."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah I love the drummers too, but nothing beats Scottish pipes and drums, IMHO. :-) So glad you're getting the insulin normalized and that vitamin D has helped with appetite. So interesting. Thank you for commenting on my post today. I didn't mean to imply that no women's rights groups care about this issue. We need to keep up the letters and the pressure until that woman is free. Btw I have never raised kale and only used it in a stir fry. I like your salad recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day and educate me.....I look forward to each one, thank you!