Thursday, June 5, 2014

Let Me Fall

                                                                   (photo credit)

   I probably shouldn't tell you guys I have particular posts upcoming anymore; it seems something comes up every time I do, lol.

   So Let Me Fall is the title of this post, and here's why: I'm going to jump off this particular 'cliff', and trust you to let me land where I may... 
   Whilst this blog means many different things to me, (and possibly you) it serves assorted purposes, and has brought me into contact with an incredibly diverse selection of wonderful people, probably the most important thing about it - to me - is that it be an inclusive space. A safe space for nearly anyone to read, comment, and share. Nearly anyone? I exclude anyone I know to be abusive, murderous, larcenous, or a paedophile; I'm sure you get my drift. The increasingly divisive and exclusionary tenor of our society troubles me deeply, and I refuse to add to that.
   Recently I've received a few emails (from one-0ff readers, not my regular friends here) who've accused me of cowardice; or of not being clearly marked as fish, or fowl, or good red herring because I don't declare an allegiance to, or contempt for, one particular group or another. My response to that? Besides not being terribly bothered, my thought was "Good, you're not supposed to be able to categorise me and my blog easily"; and that sometimes it takes more courage not to take an easily pigeonholed stand. Why? Because I firmly intend to continue being inclusive; to keep this a safe space. To insist, for myself, that I look at the person first, and to hope that those who come here will also do so; but how can this mythical other do so if there is no safe space in which to practice the skill? If my intent, if acting upon this intent in the best way I know how at this time, causes me to fall flat on my face? Let me fall; I'm doing the best I can with what I have.
   It seems to me that, while many people fear (or are at least hesitant about) that which is new or different; still others are eager to embrace, or at least learn about, that which appears to be the 'other'. From an early age, I've been one of the latter; one of my favourite memories, from the early '60's, was of going to a wee country church with my mother, this very one in fact:


                                     (photo credit)

   And at that church was a young Japanese missionary couple who dressed me in a kimono, tabi, and so on. I remember being absolutely thrilled, and probably talked their ears off, asking them a bazillion questions! The differences I saw were exciting to me, not frightening, and the realisation stuck that, really, the differences weren't so very large. How much smaller, more grey and dull, would my life be if I didn't embrace the immense variety of human life; this intricate dance piece of humanity? And how much less would I respect myself if I stuffed my unique self into a pigeonhole, because of someone else's discomfort? If I fall in love with the richness life offers; let me fall.
   Here's yet another reason inclusivity is important to me: None of us will make it out of here alive. Not one. And we need one another, oh so terribly much. We need one another for balance, for joy, for love, for gentle hands in a dark moment... to pull one another over the finish line, laughing all the way. If I fall in love with the glorious light of another human being, whether it be the love we call friendship or that of romantic love then, please, just let me fall.

I'm not sure if this post made any sense to you, I'm still working on making sense of my perspectives myself...


20 comments:

  1. ...with anything in life, it's a challenge. Caring for yourself is #1. And while doing so, there will be many 'falls' where you pick yourself up, fluff off the dust, and start anew!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Applause from the sidelines here. I love the differences (and the warmth and wonder) I have found here in the blogosphere.
    I don't agree with everyone - but I don't always agree with myself either.
    And there are things I do have a side on - but that is my opinion only. If something is right for me there is reason it should be right for everyone (or anyone) else.
    With the exception of cruelty. I am against it in all its forms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NEVER NEVER stuff yourself into unique self into a pigeonhole to please someone else my friend. You have a voice to be heard and I for one enjoy it. It takes many kinds of people to turn this world of ours and that is a good thing it only takes one narrow minded person to make you see this beautiful diversity different. Take care and hugs no fall OK. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with EC. The differences and diversity are what makes blogging enjoyable for me. I love interacting with people from different ages, backgrounds, nationalities, religions, socioeconomic statuses, races, sexual orientations, etc. What on earth was that person who emailed trying to say? That you should take stands on your blog? It's YOUR blog! You can do and write whatever you damn well please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always so interesting to me to watch people's behavior. That someone would read a blog post of yours, and read you the riot act is astonishing to me. You are one of the most 'glass half full' kind of people I know out here in the blogosphere. And so I wonder, if the attitude was turned back on them, how would they handle it? Any good opinion worth having is worth debating ... that is as long as you're really listening. The world is full of so many interesting people, places and things to discover. Closing your mind to a single (likely not widely informed) opinion is a cowardly way to live. IMHO

    Don't change a thing. Keep on being the wonderfully curious and beautiful person you are my friend

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot imagine what someone has said to you, but please consider it THEIR problem and not yours. I LOVE your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry you're getting those emails. Not fun. I received hate emails for a while from a person. I responded to the first one, but it only fueled the fire, so after that I ignored them. They continued off and on for a while, but it's been a long time since I've heard anything. Ignoring seems to be an effective tactic. And don't take it personally! Your blog is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very sorry about this. Always a pleasure to visit with you here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmm, I should check my e-mail! Truth is, I had enough UNdeserved hate mail from my Shug's ex-wife that e-mails hardly phase me now. People really should find more to do with their time. We only get one life. Why spend it on hate, bitterness, and anger? So you, my friend, are on the right track. And use the 'delete' button on your computer for hate. OK? We love your blog!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  10. It makes sense to me, and big kudos to you for the post. Shame on whoever for sending silly e-mails. You know I had a couple of guys sending me nasty emails, boycotting me for awhile and trying to get others to do the same through Twitter because I was hosting a giveaway of natural cough medicine. Silly, yes? There are so many other areas where people could productively spend their time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. People who take the time to write negative emails, aren't really worth your time. Your blog is very welcoming and thoughtful and your sweet personality shines through :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha you know you've made it when you get hate mail. The cat gets some every month or so, but oh well. Be you and that is it, great how the blogosphere has so many different views and such

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully written. It's obvious that the words come from a big heart; a kind and generous spirit. Keep doing what you're doing. I will keep visiting and rest in knowing it's a safe place to comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of the MANY reasons I LOVE your blog is because you are so open, insightful, and inclusive. This post makes wonderful sense and the next-to-last paragraph gave me goose bumps and brought tears to my eyes. You inspire me and I am SO grateful we found each other. (And oddly enough, I actually have a blog post coming tomorrow... really... it's already done... where you have a prominent place.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that's crazy someone would email you that trash. It's your blog. Blog how you please. If you want to be an open book, so be it. If you don't, so be that to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am always delighted to look through the commenters on my blog, realize the diverse beliefs of many and be thankful they have no need to speak meanly of each other. Honest diversity attracts, like iron filings and magnets. It's a shame someone felt the need to privately call you out. A test of your delete and block functions, I expect.
    Finally, housekeeping. Thank you so much for stopping by, and joining up. I see your face popping up around the blogosphere; good to know more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That one line says it all so precisely...none of us will make it out of here alive. I'm sorry someone felt the need to be hateful. Ignore and delete!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't imagine anyone having the audacity to email you and tell you how to conduct yourself...on or off your blog. The operative word here is that it's YOUR life and YOUR blog.

    I have strong opinions about many things, but my blog is not where I express them. My blog is about modern design, period.

    Like you, I believe in being inclusive and tolerant and open to new ideas, and I feel my life is the richer for it. If that bothers people, I will gladly show them where the door is and suggest a part of their anatomy that they not let it hit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This resonated so much with me. I like people who are different to me and yes, let me fall x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day and educate me.....I look forward to each one, thank you!