Tuesday, June 3, 2014

What Polar Bears And I Have In Common?



                                           (photo credit)

   Apparently we're both feeling thoughtful at the moment... more about that tomorrow (I think, lol).

   So I've been posting a lot about vitamin D of late, and I've a couple of things to add: 1. I'm not going to speculate about why at this point, but I've been having far fewer movements and tremours of late. A lot. Several days completely 'extra' movement free. I'll be seeing Dr. Wheeler on Friday next, so will be asking him about it. 2. The Great Scot has put on 4... that's right, four... pounds since starting vitamin D, and my sweetheart's appetite has been prodigious! 3M did do some research and found that this is an unusual reaction to D; much less than 1% of people reporting have mentioned this in conjunction with taking vitamin D. In fact, I've lost over 8 lbs. since I started taking it; this is from the change in my eating habits, however.

   Speaking of eating habits: I love to snack and adore sweets, so what's a hungry diabetic to do? Keep enjoying both of course! And if you're a cheapskate (like me) it makes the search for snackables just that much more interesting. So how about some snack attack goodies? (Photo, but not recipe, credit.)



First let's try some Hummus (without tahini, I don't really care for it) made the cheapskate way... (most measurements won't be exact this time, since it depends so much on individual tastes; I'll just give you the ballpark figures). I've received no compensation for mentioning brands, they're just what I prefer.

2 cans garbanzo beans, drained ( I use Kroger's organic brand)
1/4 to 1/3 c. olive oil (actually, I use Pompeiian's OlivExtra Mediterranean blend with Evoo, grapeseed and canola oils)
1/4 to 1/2 of a large lemon
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 tsp. cumin (or more if you prefer)
sea salt to taste

   Because I prefer a chunkier texture to my hummus, I don't use a food processor but this recipe easily adapts to using one, and will give you a smoother and creamier texture.

   Rinse and drain garbanzos, then rub between your palms to remove most of the 'skins'. Mash with a potato masher until chunky. Add lemon juice, cumin, and sea salt to taste and mash a little longer. Using a wand blender, slowly add oil whilst blending, until hummus reaches desired consistency. Chill for a half hour or longer before serving. Makes 1 lb. + of hummus. What makes this a tasty bit of cheapskatery? The average price for 10 oz. of pre-made hummus is $4.99 in this area... made this way it costs about $2.87 for almost twice as much. Cooking dried garbanzo beans would make it even less expensive; hummus is full of healthy proteins and fibre from the garbanzos, and the fats are all healthy fats. Let's not forget the health benefits of garlic as well!

Oh, and I haven't forgotten about the sweet tooth... try this, based on mango lassi although my version is much pinker: (Photo, but not recipe, credit.)



I suppose I could call it a Manberry Lassie ... couldn't I?

1 c. sugar free vanilla yoghurt
1 ripe mango, cubed
1/3 c. red raspberries
2 tsp. sliced almonds
1 pkt. stevia, if desired
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

   Place yoghurt, chilled fruit, and nutmeg  (and stevia, if using) in blender, and blend to preferred consistency. Serve immediately, with almonds scattered on top. If you use frozen fruit it makes a somewhat ice cream-y dessert. Makes 2 servings. 

For San Geraldo Mitchell, that sweet-faced puppy, who has suddenly developed a talent for stalking the wild toe monsters....





19 comments:

  1. Polar bears are among my favourite beasties. Powerful - and beautiful.
    Love hummus - and lassi. Though not, not, not the salted lassi enjoyed in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is wonderful news about the vitamin D and the tremors, even if that turns out to not be the reason it is wonderful.
    Hummus I love hummus and that drink well yummy. Take care. Cheers to all going as well as it could be HUG B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipes. My hubby is diabetic, also.
    I have essential tremor....so interesting about the vit. d

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news about the lessening of the tremors Jacqueline!! And as far as sweet toothes, my sweet tooth is the size of some small countries :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Manberry Lassie sounds tasty. :)
    Hurrah for the unintended (good) side effects of Vitamin D for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great news! How exciting...keep us filled in on what your doctor says! Those recipes both look delicious! mmmmm manberry! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is awesome that vitamin D is helping! I've been taking it for awhile now and it helps with mood which is a bonus! your humus and lassi look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you keep us posted on what vitamin D is doing for you.

    Hummus is one of my favourite snacks. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vitimin D and probitotics are sure two that can help a ton, vitamin c too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the hummus recipe! Love the stuff and forgot to pick up my favorite brand when I was in town. I need a little hummus every day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. And btw, those steaks were delicious, but I'd still grill them when possible. I do like a hint of lighter fluid, as I said.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good news on the vitamin D! My mother tried taking prescription doses of it and it made her really sick. Wish it would've helped her with her tremors. That hummus recipe sounds wonderful...I've only made it once, but like you, wasn't fond of the tahini. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that polar bear pic! Ya know, you can buy hummus in a jar (already "cooked"). As for the smoothie, I would love that. I wonder if someone will make one for me. (Way too much cooking involved.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You got my interest with those recipes, my friend. I love garbanzo beans. Add lemon and garlic and....Mmm lassis are heaven sent too.
    Take good care, J.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Elvis!!! Do I love him!!! That lassi sounds good too, and the hummus is one of my favorite foods. I can't resist sweets though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maybe you're on to something with vitamin D. It may be helping you health wise. I do know that when people get down in the winter doctors say to take it. So many get depressed from the lack of sunlight.

    We've been eating a lot of humus. My husband makes some good humus.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to hear the vitamin D is helping your tremors. Hope it continues to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad to hear you're having fewer tremors! Also, thanks for that lassi recipe. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day and educate me.....I look forward to each one, thank you!